Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What Do You Write? Why Do You Write What You Do?

When started to think about what I write, the first things that came to my head were academic writings, such as essays, lab reports, and the like. However, when I really started to think about it, I use writing much more than I realized in my personal life. Rarely do I ever put my pen to paper outside of the classroom, but I compose an enormous amount of digital writing. I first discovered this when looking at my iPhone. Now there may be people out there who do not consider texting a form of writing, but those people have simply never had an iPhone. The phone organizes all of your text messages with each individual person into one seamless flow of dialogue. Furthermore, there is no limit to the amount of texts that can be stored in this seamless flow, allowing a endless narrative of events between two people. The same is also true for Facebook status updates and tweets on Twitter. Individually they are just short blurbs about one's life and experiences. But cumulatively they are a digital autobiography of notable moments or events in one's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment